the melbourne freelancer is here to help you be your best at what you’re passionate about.
As The Melbourne Freelancer, I offer virtual assistance and business support services to help small business owners take back control of their valuable time so they can focus on doing what they love.
More than just an expert at admin and databases, my services to my clients extend to marketing execution such as social media posting, website administration or offering support in the delivery of an event. I’m also a copy editing rockstar who can make even the most inexperienced writer look like a grammar and spelling superstar.
With a background that includes a degree in psychology and time as an administrator to the monolith that is the Victorian state government, I’m uniquely equipped to deal with any challenge that comes my way, and take great pride in performing even the most mundane of tasks to the highest quality. Because I love to learn, I’m always interested in finding even better ways to help my clients and if they need me to do something I haven’t done before, I’ll learn how to do it with ease.
My clients are passionate about the work they do and I’m passionate about ensuring they get the time to do more of it, instead of getting bogged down in the day to day.
Whatever you need for your business to thrive, The Melbourne Freelancer is here to help.
I love to learn, holding a Bachelor of Arts & Sciences (double major in Psychology and English Literature) and a Cert III in Business Administration, as well as completing a number of writing and blogging courses. And I’m already planning the next course…
I’m oddly fascinated by flamingos. No idea why.
If Ikea and Kikki K had a store-baby I would live there!
I skipped Prep at school because I could already read and write when I arrived. I still have notebooks filled with my early ‘stories,’ which heavily feature a wicked sister who endlessly hassles the heroine. Sorry Mel.
Blogging is one of my favourite things – I have a personal lifestyle blog that’s all about making life awesome-er.
I have two cats and a turtle, none of which are called by their actual names.
relevant experience and skills
Given my natural curiosity and desire to learn, I’ve acquired quite a lot of education and experience over the years and continue to seek out new opportunities to learn. Here’s just a little bit of my experience and some other information you might find relevant.
- 8 years’ office administration for a variety of businesses, including over 2 years’ as a personal assistant and relief executive assistant at the Office of the Deputy Premier in Victoria.
- Adept at all programs of the Microsoft Office suite, and I know my way around InDesign, WordPress, Squarespace, PicMonkey, Canva, Hootsuite, Buffer, ClickFunnels, Leadpages, Active Campaign, Mailchimp, and Xero, among other things.
- Correspondence management, including processing incoming mail/email, preparing responses, assisting with customer/public enquiries.
- Database creation and management.
- Strong personal interest and experience in social and digital media, plus assisting the communications team at the Office of the Deputy Premier.
- Excellent time management and organisation skills (this is more of a personal trait, I’m a nerd about this stuff).
- Experience using Xero, preparing expense claims, reconciling credit card statements, and processing invoices.
- Diary and travel management.
- Preparation of speaking notes.
- Content creation (including for my personal blog, which I’ve been managing and growing for over 3 years).
copyediting and proofreading
- Bachelor of Arts and Sciences with double major in Psychology and English Literature (including publishing and editing subjects).
- 2 years working as an editor with Asymmetrical Press editing fiction, memoir, and young adult manuscripts.
- Proofreading reports, documents, advertising and communications material at Office of the Deputy Premier of Victoria.
- A strong knowledge of the rules of English grammar and punctuation (and the flexibility to know when you can get away with breaking them).
- A life-long love of reading and writing and a voracious appetite for various types of writing.